2019 Certified Trade Mission to Montreal
September 4, 2019 - September 5, 2019
For all Alternative Asset Fund Managers
One-to-One meetings with pre-qualified investors
HNWI, Family Offices and Institutions
Minimum of 25 one-on-one personal meetings with Montréal’s leading institutions and family offices
Focused, structured, organized and pre-arranged private meetings
Convened by the U.S. Embassy
No placement agency fees or commissions
Full contact information and background provided to GPs prior to all meetings
Promotion of your firm to 100+ local institutional investors, and single- and multi-family offices
What are the cost benefits of participating in Trade Missions?
Thank you for the opportunity to participate in the Department of Commerce Montreal Trade Mission. It was a positive experience. It was a good assembly of potential investors and general partners. I appreciate being amongst those invited.
– Paul Edwards, Vice Chairman. Africa, India and the Middle EastCapri Investment Group
- Without the trade mission format, it would be impossible to set up 20-30 LP meetings in one day with pre- qualified, potential LP's. It would require multiple days and multiple trips. This is a major benefit in terms of dollars, time and energy saved.
- The same level of meetings would probably require a minimum of two to three trips to meet the same number of high-level people. These additional trips alone are equivalent to or will cost more than the Trade Mission in terms of airfare and hotel.
- Without U.S. Government support, you would most likely need to hire a placement agent, which would be a significant up-front cash expenditure.
- A placement agent would also charge you a commission on your earned management fee and on your performance fee. There are no commissions charged on ANY investments you receive during the Trade Mission.
- There is a cost in time and energy involved in identifying prospects, securing contact info, contacting the prospects, convincing them to meet and then coordinating the schedule in an efficient manner. The Trade Mission takes place on one day and all the LP's come to your hotel. This is a major advantage and a significant save in time, expense and opportunity cost. As we all know, "Time is Money".
- The U.S. Embassy is the co-organizer for the Certified Trade Mission which lends a prestige to the event, helps guarantee the quality of the attendees, and limits the attrition prior to the event.
BRIAN BEAMS INTERNATIONAL TRADE SPECIALIST, U.S. DEPARTMENT OF COMMERCE
A veteran of the United States Air Force and graduate of Central Florida University, BS Finance, Brian’s private sector career began at International Assets Advisory as a Registered Representative (Series 7, 63, 65, & FL-215). After some years at the boutique firm, he joined the U.S. Department of State, Office of Foreign Missions – USUN. Where his focus was diplomacy and national security.
Brian joined the U.S. Commercial Service in September 2013 as an International Trade Specialist for the Northern New Jersey Export Assistance Center. He counsels U.S. businesses that wish to begin exporting or increase their exports throughout the global marketplace. He is the area sector coordinator for financial services and energy to list a few. Lastly, he is the Deputy Team Leader for USCS’s Global Finance Team where he leads the financial services subsector. He was born and raised in Northern New Jersey, has lived in Germany, France, and Bosnia, and traveled to 23 additional countries.
Neil Nisker, Co-Founder, Executive Chairman, and CIO
With investment management and wealth advisory experience dating back to 1972, Our Family Office
Co-Founder, Executive Chairman, and CIO enjoys a well-deserved reputation as a trusted and respected
figure in the Canadian financial services industry. His keen intellect and deep expertise make him
particularly well-qualified to revolutionize the multi-family office segment in Canada and grow Our
Family Office into the market-leading service provider and partner to the nations wealthiest families.
Highlights of Neil’s career to date include:
- Fiera Capital Corporation: Neil was active with Fiera Capital Corporation, one of Canada’s largest
investment managers, from 2006 to 2014, serving as the President of Fiera Private Wealth and
as the company’s Executive Vice Chairman and a member of the company’s board of directors
and governance committee.
- YMG Capital Management Inc.: Neil served as President of the YMG Private Wealth
Management division from 2000 to 2006. Fiera Capital Corporation purchased YMG Capital
Management in 2006.
- Nisker Associates, Strategic Wealth Management: From 1997 to 1999, Neil was the Chairman of
Nisker Associates, Strategic Wealth Management, a Canadian registered investment counseling
firm. It was acquired by YMG Capital Management in 2000.
- Best Investments International Inc.: In 1990, Sir John Templeton selected Neil to be one of the
three managers of Best Investments International Inc., a global equity mutual fund he owned.
Neil held this position until 2000.
- Brown Baldwin Nisker Ltd.: For more than 25 years, Neil was a driving force behind Brown
Baldwin Nisker. Through his diligence, the firm grew into one of the premier institutional
brokerages in Canada. It was sold to HSBC Securities in 1988.
In addition, Neil has been the President of Privatech Investments Inc., an investment company
headquartered in Toronto, Canada since 1994.
LP Participant Profile
- Canada is the one of the largest investors in the U.S.and has invested billions of dollars with U.S. alternative investment managers since the 2008-9 financial crisis.
- Canada has some of the largest institutional investors globally including:
- Canada Pension Plan Investment Board (CPPIB)
- Caisse de dépôt et placement du Québec (La Caisse)
- Ontario Teachers’ Pension Plan (OTPP)
- Public Sector Pension Investment Board (PSP Investments)
- Alberta Investment Management Co. (AIMCo)
- Ontario Municipal Employees Retirement System (OMERS)
These large pension funds all invest across the full range of alternative investments, and are leaders in investing globally.
- Total Canadian pension fund assets are ~10% of total U.S. pension fund assets; However, the vast majority (>90%) of Canadian pension fund assets are in Defined Benefit (DB) Plans, with the balance of pension fund assets (<10%) in Defined Contribution (DC) Plans.
- Over the past decade from 2004-2014:
- The medium-sized Canadian DB Plans (and a select group of foundations and endowments) have decreased their Canadian equity allocations and increased their allocations to alternative investments, with a focus on real estate, infrastructure and private equity;
- The small-sized Canadian DB Plans (and most foundations) have been slow to diversify into alternative investments, but recognize the need to do so.
September 4, 2019
3:00 pmRooms Available
September 5, 2019
8:30 am - 9:00 amRegistration for U.S. GPs and Canadian LP Investors
9:00 am - 12:30 pmOne-on-one meetings: Members of the U.S. delegation will meet in one-on-one meetings with Investment Professionals from Canadian institutional investors and family offices
12:30 pm - 1:30 pmBuffet lunch and informal discussion continues with U.S. Fund Managers and Limited Partner Investors
*The government of the United States, particularly the US Department of Commerce and the US Embassy is not involved in selecting or recruitment for this mission. Such selection and recruitment is strictly left to the mission organizer. The US and foreign commercial service supports the goals of this event but does not endorse the specific products or views of the participating organization.
Fees & Registration
First Attendee: $12,500
Second Attendee: $3,500
Payment may be made by wire transfer. Full payment is required to reserve your attendance and is due immediately.
Attendance is by invitation only. The quantity of fund manager participation is strategically limited to maximize the level of overall access and one on one meeting opportunities with our foreign institutional investor attendees. Since space is limited, we encourage you to register immediately to reserve your spot.
Included in your certified trade mission fee are the following:
Deluxe accommodations: Wednesday, September 4, 2019 at the chic five star, four diamond Hôtel Le Crystal. Check-in is at 3:00 pm
Thursday, September, 5 breakfast, and Trade Mission program including lunch
All food and beverage during the meeting portion
Dedicated on site team for you while in Montréal.
Complete Conference program including one on one meetings arranged with Canada’s leading institutional investors on Tuesday May 1, 2018.
Check In: Wednesday,September 4, 2019
Check Out: Thursday,September 5, 2019
Hôtel Le Crystal Montréal
1100 rue de la Montagne
Montréal, Quebec H3G 0A1
The cancellation policy is as follows:
60 days or more: Refund of 75% of full Payment
59-30 Days: 10% refund
Less than 30 days: No refund