2021 Virtual Certified Trade Mission to Canada
Investors from Montréal, Ottawa, Toronto, Calgary, Vancouver
June 17, 2021
For all Alternative Asset Fund Managers
One-to-One meetings with pre-qualified investors
HNWI, Family Offices and Institutions
Minimum of 30 virtual meetings with Canada’s leading institutions and family offices
Includes Canadian Investors from Montréal, Ottawa, Toronto, Calgary, Edmonton, Vancouver
Focused, structured, organized and pre-arranged private meetings
Certified by the U.S. Department of Commerce and organized in partnership with the U.S. Department of Commerce and the U.S. Consulate in Montréal and Toronto
No placement agency fees or commissions
Full LP contact information and background provided to GPs prior to all meetings
Promotion of your firm to 100+ local institutional investors, and single and multi-family offices
What are the cost benefits of participating in Trade Missions?
Thank you for the opportunity to participate in the Department of Commerce Montreal Trade Mission. It was a positive experience. It was a good assembly of potential investors and general partners. I appreciate being amongst those invited.
– Paul Edwards, Vice Chairman, Africa, India and the Middle East, Capri Investment Group
- Without the trade mission format, it would be impossible to set up thirty LP meetings in one day with pre-qualified, potential LPs. It would require multiple days and multiple trips. This is a major benefit in terms of dollars, time and energy saved.
- The same level of meetings would probably require a minimum of two to three trips to meet the same number of high-level people. These additional trips alone are equivalent to or will cost more than the Trade Mission in terms of airfare and hotel.
- A placement agent would also charge you a commission on your earned management fee and on your performance fee. There are no commissions charged on ANY investments you receive during the Trade Mission.
- There is a cost in time and energy involved in identifying prospects, securing contact info, contacting the prospects, convincing them to meet and then coordinating the schedule in an efficient manner. The Trade Mission takes place on one day. This is a major advantage and a significant save in time, expense and opportunity cost. As we all know, "Time is Money".
With investment management and wealth advisory experience dating back to 1972, Our Family Office
Co-Founder, Executive Chairman, and CIO enjoys a well-deserved reputation as a trusted and respected
figure in the Canadian financial services industry. His keen intellect and deep expertise make him
particularly well-qualified to revolutionize the multi-family office segment in Canada and grow Our
Family Office into the market-leading service provider and partner to the nations wealthiest families.
Highlights of Neil’s career to date include:
- Fiera Capital Corporation: Neil was active with Fiera Capital Corporation, one of Canada’s largest
investment managers, from 2006 to 2014, serving as the President of Fiera Private Wealth and
as the company’s Executive Vice Chairman and a member of the company’s board of directors
and governance committee.
- YMG Capital Management Inc.: Neil served as President of the YMG Private Wealth
Management division from 2000 to 2006. Fiera Capital Corporation purchased YMG Capital
Management in 2006.
- Nisker Associates, Strategic Wealth Management: From 1997 to 1999, Neil was the Chairman of
Nisker Associates, Strategic Wealth Management, a Canadian registered investment counseling
firm. It was acquired by YMG Capital Management in 2000.
- Best Investments International Inc.: In 1990, Sir John Templeton selected Neil to be one of the
three managers of Best Investments International Inc., a global equity mutual fund he owned.
Neil held this position until 2000.
- Brown Baldwin Nisker Ltd.: For more than 25 years, Neil was a driving force behind Brown
Baldwin Nisker. Through his diligence, the firm grew into one of the premier institutional
brokerages in Canada. It was sold to HSBC Securities in 1988.
In addition, Neil has been the President of Privatech Investments Inc., an investment company
headquartered in Toronto, Canada since 1994.
Mr. Sinclair has spent over 20 years co-creating executive level strategic relationships and solutions with corporations (private & public), pension funds, private equity, development firms, hedge-funds, family offices, NGO’s and business partners. Robert began his career providing risk management consultancy at a boutique firm in Australia. After moving to Canada, Robert headed up the creation of the risk management division at RiskCheck Inc., a leading Canadian advisory firm. After leaving the firm, he created his own advisory firm which eventually merged with GHD, which is one of the world’s leading professional services companies operating in the global market sectors of water, energy and resources, environment, property and buildings, and transportation. Currently, Robert serves as the Chief Investment Officer of a private family office where he is charged with evaluating investment and co-investment opportunities. Additionally, he serves as a senior advisor to the CEO of Louisiana 23 Development Company, establishing relationships of potential investors and evaluating project related risks. Recently, through his role as CIO and due to previous relationships, he has joined the Advisory Boards for both Terra Firma, Operation Water and CrowdSmart. CrowdSmart, is a pioneer in the application of prediction science for a Startup investing, combining world-class artificial intelligence (AI) and a global community of Member Evaluators to democratize the seed-investing ecosystem and deliver better outcomes for investors and entrepreneurs alike.
LP Participant Profile
- Canada is one of the largest investors in the U.S. and has invested billions of dollars with U.S. alternative investment managers since the 2008-9 financial crisis.
- Canada has some of the largest institutional investors globally including:
- Canada Pension Plan Investment Board (CPPIB)
- Caisse de dépôt et placement du Québec (La Caisse)
- Ontario Teachers’ Pension Plan (OTPP)
- Public Sector Pension Investment Board (PSP Investments)
- Alberta Investment Management Co. (AIMCo)
- Ontario Municipal Employees Retirement System (OMERS)
These large pension funds all invest across the full range of alternative investments and are leaders in investing globally.
- Total Canadian pension fund assets are ~10% of total U.S. pension fund assets; However, the vast majority (>90%) of Canadian pension fund assets are in Defined Benefit (DB) Plans, with the balance of pension fund assets (<10%) in Defined Contribution (DC) Plans.
- Over the past decade from 2004-2014:
- The medium-sized Canadian DB Plans (and a select group of foundations and endowments) have decreased their Canadian equity allocations and increased their allocations to alternative investments, with a focus on real estate, infrastructure and private equity;
- The small-sized Canadian DB Plans (and most foundations) have been slow to diversify into alternative investments, but recognize the need to do so.
June 17, 2021
12:45 pmArrival Online, Registration, Informal Networking
1:00 pm - 5:15 pmVirtual Meetings with LPs
One-on-one meetings: Members of the U.S. delegation will meet in one-on-one virtual meetings with Investment Professionals from Canadian institutional investors and family offices and high net worth individuals.
5:15 pmTrade Mission Ends
*The government of the United States, particularly the US Department of Commerce and the US Embassy is not involved in selecting or recruitment for this mission. Such selection and recruitment is strictly left to the mission organizer. The US and foreign commercial service supports the goals of this event but does not endorse the specific products or views of the participating organization.
Attendance is by invitation only. The quantity of fund manager participation is strategically limited to maximize the level of overall access and one on one meeting opportunities with our foreign institutional investor attendees. Since space is limited, we encourage you to register immediately to reserve your spot.
Please email email@example.com for information on the fees to attend.
Included in your certified trade mission fee are the following:
Trade Mission program on Thursday, June 24, 2021
Complete conference program including one-on-one virtual meetings with Canada’s leading institutional and Family Office investors
Distribution of your materials to Institutions prior to the Trade Mission
Complete LP information book received one week prior to the Trade Mission
No accommodations – Virtual Trade Mission
The cancellation policy is as follows:
Within 30 days of registration: 75% refund
31-60 days after registration: 50% refund
More than 60 days after registration: No refund