2020 Certified Trade Mission to Toronto
October 18, 2020 - October 19, 2020
For all Alternative Asset Fund Managers
One-to-One meetings with pre-qualified investors
HNWI, Family Offices and Institutions
One-on-one meetings with Canadian investors
An opportunity to meet Canadian institutional limited partner investors from the largest insurance companies and pension funds as well as high net worth individuals and heads of family offices.
A forum to exchange ideas and strategies with Canadian investors, other U.S.-based fund managers, and policy-makers from both Canada and the United States.
Opportunities for intimate interaction between U.S. GPs and Canadian LPs
Promote U.S. PE, VC and Hedge Funds
Introduce U.S. PE, VC and Hedge Funds to Canadian LPs
What are the cost benefits of participating in Trade Missions?
I thought the Trade Mission was one of the most unique fundraising assets I’ve ever seen. The ability to have 50+ warm leads provided over the course of 1 day is phenomenal. It would have been impossible for our fund to have done anything like this ourselves and I doubt any financial service organizations could have provided a stronger group. I would highly recommend the Trade Mission, not just because of the quantity of potential investors but the quality of investors.
– Maxx Bricklin Principal Bold Capital Partners, LP
- Without the trade mission format, it would be impossible to set up 20-30 LP meetings in one day with pre-qualified potential LPs. It would require multiple days and multiple trips. This is a major benefit in terms of dollars, time and energy saved.
- The same level of meetings would probably require a minimum of two to three trips to meet the same number of high-level people. These additional trips alone are equivalent to or will cost more than the Trade Mission in terms of airfare and hotel.
- A placement agent would also charge you a commission on your earned management fee and on your performance fee. There are no commissions charged on ANY investments you receive during the Trade Mission.
- There is a cost in time and energy involved in identifying prospects, securing contact info, contacting the prospects, convincing them to meet and then coordinating the schedule in an efficient manner. The Trade Mission takes place on one day and all the LPs come to your hotel. This is a major advantage and a significant save in time, expense and opportunity cost. As we all know, "Time is Money".
Nicholas P. Katsepontes has over 25 years of legal and business experience providing counsel and business advice to shipping, biotechnology, and hi-tech companies.
He started his legal career in Halifax, Nova Scotia in 1988 where he practiced shipping, marine, and corporate law for an established law firm. He moved to Ottawa in 1992 to serve as a Special Advisor to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Trade (DFAIT) providing strategic and legal advice in relation to Canada’s maritime and fisheries law and policy. He has worked and published papers in the areas of law of the sea, fisheries management, ship registrations, and oil and gas development in closed seas.
He is a Co-Founder and acting CEO and President of Axios Investments Corporation. He has also served as VP Investment Banking and Legal Counsel of an Ottawa based boutique investment bank; as Vice-President Corporate Affairs and Legal Counsel for JSS Medical Research Inc., assisting that company in its corporate reorganization as well as acquisition and merger strategies; as a director of a number of leading edge technology companies including SWIX (corporate metrics); and as an early advisor and legal counsel to Jaded Pixel Technologies Inc./Shopify a leading Ottawa based E-commerce Company.
He holds a Bachelors degree in Economics from Dalhousie University, undertook graduate studies in international economics, holds a Bachelor of Law and Master of Law (shipping and trade law) degrees from Dalhousie Law School, and is a member of the Nova Scotia Barrister’s Society as well as the Law Society of Upper Canada.
Meir Cohen has been in the investment industry for over 20 years. He co-founded a multi-family office which was subsequently sold to a foreign financial institution. He then founded BSP Funds Canada Inc., the Canadian operation of a global hedge fund, which he now manages. He has his MBA from Schulich School of Business and has the CFA designation. He lives in Toronto with his wife and four children.
With investment management and wealth advisory experience dating back to 1972, Our Family Office
Co-Founder, Executive Chairman, and CIO enjoys a well-deserved reputation as a trusted and respected
figure in the Canadian financial services industry. His keen intellect and deep expertise make him
particularly well-qualified to revolutionize the multi-family office segment in Canada and grow Our
Family Office into the market-leading service provider and partner to the nation’s wealthiest families.
Highlights of Neil’s career to date include:
- Fiera Capital Corporation: Neil was active with Fiera Capital Corporation, one of Canada’s largest
investment managers, from 2006 to 2014, serving as the President of Fiera Private Wealth and
as the company’s Executive Vice Chairman and a member of the company’s board of directors
and governance committee.
- YMG Capital Management Inc.: Neil served as President of the YMG Private Wealth
Management division from 2000 to 2006. Fiera Capital Corporation purchased YMG Capital
Management in 2006.
- Nisker Associates, Strategic Wealth Management: From 1997 to 1999, Neil was the Chairman of
Nisker Associates, Strategic Wealth Management, a Canadian registered investment counseling
firm. It was acquired by YMG Capital Management in 2000.
- Best Investments International Inc.: In 1990, Sir John Templeton selected Neil to be one of the
three managers of Best Investments International Inc., a global equity mutual fund he owned.
Neil held this position until 2000.
- Brown Baldwin Nisker Ltd.: For more than 25 years, Neil was a driving force behind Brown
Baldwin Nisker. Through his diligence, the firm grew into one of the premier institutional
brokerages in Canada. It was sold to HSBC Securities in 1988.
In addition, Neil has been the President of Privatech Investments Inc., an investment company
headquartered in Toronto, Canada since 1994.
LP Participant Profile
- Canada is the one of the largest investors in the U.S., and has invested billions of dollars with U.S. alternative investment managers since the 2008-9 financial crisis.
- Canada has some of the largest institutional investors globally including:
- Canada Pension Plan Investment Board (CPPIB)
- Caisse de dépôt et placement du Québec (La Caisse)
- Ontario Teachers’ Pension Plan (OTPP)
- Public Sector Pension Investment Board (PSP Investments)
- Alberta Investment Management Co. (AIMCo)
- Ontario Municipal Employees Retirement System (OMERS)
These large pension funds all invest across the full range of alternative investments, and are leaders in investing globally.
- Total Canadian pension fund assets are ~10% of total U.S. pension fund assets; However, the vast majority (>90%) of Canadian pension fund assets are in Defined Benefit (DB) Plans, with the balance of pension fund assets (<10%) in Defined Contribution (DC) Plans.
- Over the past decade from 2004-2019:
- The medium-sized DB Plans (and a select group of foundations and endowments) have decreased their Canadian equity allocations and increased their allocations to alternative assets, with a focus on real estate, infrastructure, and private equity;
- The small-sized DB Plans (and most foundations) have been slow to diversify into alternative assets, but recognize the need to do so.
October 18, 2020
4:00 pmCheck in at the hotel
6:00 pm - 8:00 pmDinner on your own
October 19, 2020
8:30 am - 9:00 amRegistration for U.S. GPs and Canadian investors
9:00 am - 12:30 pmMembers of the U.S. delegation will meet in one-on-one meetings with investment professionals from Canadian institutional investors and family offices.
12:30 pm - 1:30 pmBuffet lunch and informal discussion continues with U.S. fund managers and investors
*The government of the United States, particularly the US Department of Commerce and the US Embassy is not involved in selecting or recruitment for this mission. Such selection and recruitment is strictly left to the mission organizer. The US and foreign commercial service supports the goals of this event but does not endorse the specific products or views of the participating organization.
Attendance is by invitation only. The quantity of fund manager participation is strategically limited to maximize the level of overall access and one on one meeting opportunities with our foreign institutional investor attendees. Since space is limited, we encourage you to register immediately to reserve your spot.
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org for information on the fees to attend
Included in your certified trade mission fee are the following:
Deluxe accommodations: One night at the Omni King Edward Hotel in a Royal Club Deluxe Room
Access to the exclusive Omni King Edward private lounge
Breakfast and Lunch on Monday, October 19, 2020
All food and beverage during the meeting portion
Dedicated on site team for you while in Toronto
Complete Conference program including one on one meetings arranged with Toronto’s leading institutional investors.
Ebook with full information on all LP attendees
Check In: Sunday, October 18, 2020
Check Out: Monday, October 19, 2020
Omni King Edward Hotel
37 King Street
The cancellation policy is as follows:
60 days or more: Refund of 75% of full Payment
59-30 Days: 10% refund
Less than 30 days: No refund